Quote:

Quote:

my trans builder said to keep using whatever I had for my 904's.

anything more expensive then walmart's or pep boys type F is a waste

The more heat that builds up in a trans, the shorter the fluid life, holding ability and and available protection.
Trans brake applications, high stall converters and hot-lapping in the late rounds are the biggest heat generators.

I'm not saying conventional Type F fluid is not good. It has to work well by design. I've used it for many years in the past with good results. But synthetics offer more benefits and extra protection/insurance. I only footbrake, but I have been surprised at how well and how long my 904's have been holding up despite the 3,540+ lb weight, 5,000-5,400 rpm converter flash and many late round appearances when there is less and less time to cool anything off. I have had less trans issues and longer life since I switched years ago in my current car. This includes a 10 second 360/727 footbrake 2,850 lb Challenger before that.

If someone can afford the "extra insurance", that's great. But conventional Type F has and will continue to work well in Mopar transmissions. However, I do wish there were some specific stats comparing wear and overall life using conventional Type F and synthetic Amsoil Super Shift like there are for engine oils.

Last edited by Locomotion; 09/18/10 05:39 PM.