Moparts

Poll.... Who's got the best oil???

Posted By: 1962Savoy

Poll.... Who's got the best oil??? - 09/18/10 03:18 PM

I have a new Aluminium World Block and I want to protect my investment. What oil would you guys use in this 800hp motor??
Joe Gibb's
Royal Purple
Amsoil
Posted By: chryco

Re: Poll.... Who's got the best oil??? - 09/18/10 03:21 PM

Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Poll.... Who's got the best oil??? - 09/18/10 03:22 PM

Redline
Posted By: HEMIFRED

Re: Poll.... Who's got the best oil??? - 09/18/10 03:24 PM

Rotella in one Hemi while Mobil One is used in the other two.
I have never seen a failure do to brand of oil and I challenge that you can never prove it. Old dirty oil will kill it as well as what parts are used and how it's put together.I use an accusump to prelube before starting and also heat my oil. Those two will extend motor life much longer than whose name is on your oil can.
Posted By: moparniac

Re: Poll.... Who's got the best oil??? - 09/18/10 04:22 PM

Brad Penn
Posted By: dOoC

Re: Poll.... Who's got the best oil??? - 09/18/10 04:41 PM

Valvoline racing oil (with lotsa' zinc) ...in 5 gallon or maybe 15 gallon pails
Posted By: Twostick

Re: Poll.... Who's got the best oil??? - 09/18/10 05:37 PM

What Fred said.

Kevin
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Poll.... Who's got the best oil??? - 09/18/10 05:40 PM

Im using Brad Penn 10-30 partial synthetic in the new 452, but I think any newer "performance" oil that has high zinc levels will be plenty sufficient.
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Poll.... Who's got the best oil??? - 09/18/10 05:59 PM

I've seen and heard of HP/ET benefits, mileage improvements, lower temps and my trans builder said to keep using whatever I had for my 904's.

Been using Amsoil for year and am very happy with it. Their Dominator series of racing oil has 3 choices of viscosity and has plenty of zinc. (Well, actually 4 if you count their 60w.)

Amsoil bulletin on zinc and their racing oils.

Amsoil source and info site.

Re: Poll.... Who's got the best oil??? - 09/18/10 07:37 PM

Quote:

my trans builder said to keep using whatever I had for my 904's.

anything more expensive then walmart's or pep boys type F is a waste
Posted By: deansrr

Re: Poll.... Who's got the best oil??? - 09/18/10 07:42 PM

I have never seen a failure do to brand of oil and I challenge that you can never prove it. Old dirty oil will kill it as well as what parts are used and how it's put together.I use an accusump to prelube before starting and also heat my oil. Those two will extend motor life much longer than whose name is on your oil can.

keep it clean
Posted By: NoJoke

Re: Poll.... Who's got the best oil??? - 09/18/10 08:26 PM

Brad Penn!!!!!!!
Posted By: Locomotion

Re: Poll.... Who's got the best oil??? - 09/18/10 09:34 PM

Quote:

Quote:

my trans builder said to keep using whatever I had for my 904's.

anything more expensive then walmart's or pep boys type F is a waste

The more heat that builds up in a trans, the shorter the fluid life, holding ability and and available protection.
Trans brake applications, high stall converters and hot-lapping in the late rounds are the biggest heat generators.

I'm not saying conventional Type F fluid is not good. It has to work well by design. I've used it for many years in the past with good results. But synthetics offer more benefits and extra protection/insurance. I only footbrake, but I have been surprised at how well and how long my 904's have been holding up despite the 3,540+ lb weight, 5,000-5,400 rpm converter flash and many late round appearances when there is less and less time to cool anything off. I have had less trans issues and longer life since I switched years ago in my current car. This includes a 10 second 360/727 footbrake 2,850 lb Challenger before that.

If someone can afford the "extra insurance", that's great. But conventional Type F has and will continue to work well in Mopar transmissions. However, I do wish there were some specific stats comparing wear and overall life using conventional Type F and synthetic Amsoil Super Shift like there are for engine oils.

Re: Poll.... Who's got the best oil??? - 09/18/10 09:57 PM

Quote:

Brad Penn!!!!!!!

Brad Pitt ???
in what your lawnmowe ?? to wash cars ?? the last time you had a race car Brad Penn was not even born, you use it because everyone thinks your cool.
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Poll.... Who's got the best oil??? - 09/19/10 03:35 AM

Quote:

I want to protect my investment

then buy a reasonably priced oil and change it more often using a quality filter. imho none of these "boutique" oils is magic and they all get dirty regardless
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Poll.... Who's got the best oil??? - 09/19/10 04:07 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I want to protect my investment

then buy a reasonably priced oil and change it more often using a quality filter. imho none of these "boutique" oils is magic and they all get dirty regardless

I use the standard old Valvoline 5W20 WT non synthetic in all of my custom built motors that are N/A. I have used the new 25W40 (or maybe it is 25W50WT) Pennzoil racing oil in one customers N/A pump gas street Hemi, he wanted the good, trick stuff That oil does feel different when squeezing it in between my fingers, it is a lot slicker feeling than any of the other oils I have treid that with A freind of mine that builds very succesful road race motors(45 minute heat races)turned me onto this new Pennzoil race oil There oil temps can get upto or above 240F they do change it regulary after every race and send in samples for oil checks
Posted By: NoJoke

Re: Poll.... Who's got the best oil??? - 09/20/10 02:17 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Brad Penn!!!!!!!

Brad Pitt ???
in what your lawnmowe ?? to wash cars ?? the last time you had a race car Brad Penn was not even born, you use it because everyone thinks your cool.

I know its been a while LMAO...Yeah and I sit my fat A** at the car wash that im part owner at lol like someone said... Ah no im Solo owner!!!! Maybe someone will read this... Any Brad Penn oil thats all I use in my race cars even for breaking in a motor!!
Posted By: sunroofgtx

Re: Poll.... Who's got the best oil??? - 09/20/10 02:39 AM

I bought another case of Brad Penn this weekend. It must be the best, because it was the most expensive case of oil I've ever bought !
Posted By: nosboy

Re: Poll.... Who's got the best oil??? - 09/20/10 03:09 AM

TRY KLOTZ.. I've been using it in EVERYTHING two stroke for about 30 + years.. they make 4 stroke oil... www.klotzlube.com/
Posted By: nosboy

Re: Poll.... Who's got the best oil??? - 09/20/10 03:12 AM

Synthetic is the WAY TO GO !!! Unless you have to change your oil after every pass,,, then the PRICE of synthetics will KILL YOU !!!

Re: Poll.... Who's got the best oil??? - 09/20/10 03:33 AM

Quote:

I bought another case of Brad Penn this weekend. It must be the best, because it was the most expensive case of oil I've ever bought !

Sparky those are the the identical words I heard you use on that girl when we were in Carlisle

"It must be the best, because it was the most expensive %*&^$ I've ever bought !
Posted By: 493_DART

Re: Poll.... Who's got the best oil??? - 09/20/10 09:32 AM

i will say--and im no vet, i have never had a oil problem , or locked up bearing...

i think its because i check my clearances??

my Oil "sponsors" from the 80's to present in no order:

pennzoil
quaker state
Oreilly
Brad penn
Valvoline
napa
mobil 1
advance auto
autozone
summit break in oil
kendall
and other forgotten brands

they all worked just fine.
Posted By: Moparnut426

Re: Poll.... Who's got the best oil??? - 09/20/10 03:35 PM

I use brad penn, but it must suck because it wasnt one of the choises.

Kasey
Posted By: fishy340

Re: Poll.... Who's got the best oil??? - 09/20/10 04:04 PM

valvoline vr series (aka beckman)
Posted By: an8sec70cuda

Re: Poll.... Who's got the best oil??? - 09/20/10 05:51 PM

I break em in on Valvoline VR1 or Rotella. I use Mobil One synthetic once it's broken in.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Poll.... Who's got the best oil??? - 09/23/10 01:11 PM

Wally World 10W30, or 5W30. If I feel really rich I'll even pop for the synthetic version.

40 years of driving and millions of miles later I have ZERO oil related engine failures. Change it regular and always use a good filter.

Nothing fancy and these "boutique" oil makers are riding an urban myth all the way to the bank.
Posted By: CompSyn

Re: Poll.... Who's got the best oil??? - 10/04/10 10:41 AM

Quote:

Wally World 10W30, or 5W30. If I feel really rich I'll even pop for the synthetic version.

40 years of driving and millions of miles later I have ZERO oil related engine failures. Change it regular and always use a good filter.

Nothing fancy and these "boutique" oil makers are riding an urban myth all the way to the bank.

LOL, Yep, the Internet is a great source for myths, that's for sure...
Posted By: Dragula

Re: Poll.... Who's got the best oil??? - 10/04/10 12:14 PM

One thing I will mention that seems to be overlooked is, I have one of those cleanable filter systems on one of my cars, and I changed the oil last night and I cannot believe the amount of crap that thing finds in the oil, of what I consider, to be a really well maintaned engine. It took 40min before I felt I had it totally clean. I will never go back to a bypass style filter for fear all that crap is going to go thru my engine. Where in the world does all that stuff come from....And I did put Brad Penn in, but normally I just run diesel 15-40, but now the diesel stuff is nearly zinc free.

Attached picture 6232268-928-TFx.jpg
© 2024 Moparts Forums