Quote:

Why would any company invest the dollars in tooling for a product that is close but not correct? There is so much tech available these days to EXACTLY copy a product it amazes me these companies cant get a repro right or even make it better than the OEM part.

Stamping sheet metal is almost more of an art versus science. There are bend tolerances, spring back, stretch, etc to think about when making the dies. I have desinged dies for simple brackets and you would be surprised how much work goes into that. I couldn't imagine designing tooling for parts with compound curves. You just can't take the original fender and make die to fit it and hope that the part that comes out will be a duplicate. It won't. All of the factors that go into shaping metal have to be considered. I am sure there is some trial and error, as I am sure there was when the original dies were designed and built. Though Chrysler had 60 years of experience to count on when 70 Challengers came out. The folks at AMD are still pretty new to it.

68 Road Runner (383/4speed, post car w/decor pkg) - Major Project
69 Road Runner w/472 Hemi & 4 speed.
70 Challenger R/T SE EF8 w/ V9J, U - A32 - Major Project
2023 Ford Mach 1