Quote:

I realize that an M-body is going to be heavier than a 4 dr A body ... but 900 lbs ?

OK .. the FRONT seat weighs 50 lbs more? .. rear seat 10? ... door beams - 40 ? ... bumpers with the beams (MORE than the A body) - 40 ? Electric windows...30? ..Xtra insulation and carpeting diff ? .. 40.

I would HONESTLY like to know. I have always liked the idea of a 5th as a SLEEPER project with a BIG B engine ... but there are major issues with that ... that being a decent exhaust system.

CAN'T be done.

Sooooo ...an A engine IT IS !

40lbs here, 50lbs there adds up quick. don't forget, an M is closer in width to a pre-71 B than an A.

my 5th ave was 3950 with 1/2 tank of gas, without me when I was dropping off some scrap at a metal recyclers, without the scrap in it.

the weight adders to mine:

A500, 1" rear sway bar, 5 leaf rear springs, 1.125" front sway bar, 11.75" brakes, 8.75" rear

the weight reduction:
aluminum intake, loss of smog pump

the weight wash:

17x8 mustang rims w/255/50R17's vs. steel 15x7 with 205/75's, headers and 3" big single exhaust vs. stock manifolds and thick walled 1.875" exhaust with 3 cats.

realistically, I'd gather my 5th, stock probably was 3700-3800 lbs. the sound deadener under the carpet is HEAVY. the bumpers are, too. the interior door panels have a fair amount of heft to them, too. the front power seats are quite weighty....

a big block in an M is quite roomy, if you stick to a low deck, and/or use a K car power brake booster. the huge booster in them makes even a small block snug. as far as room for an exhaust, headers aren't a problem, the rear, you can fit a big single (3") over the axle pipe, or move the tank over, and you can fit dual 2.5" tails....there's enough room under the car to run the large body dynomax (5x11x20" case) mufflers under the rear seat.

Last edited by patrick; 05/13/10 10:05 AM.

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)