The general consensus here is what I was thinking. The ports just look too small for anything north of 320" in a performance application. As far as RPM, peak would be around 6800-7000, with the bottom being near 3000. Sorry, I don't have any pics, and I can't take any right now (8500 miles from home ). After doing more research, RHS X heads would be the minimum I would use, albiet with some porting. Of course, W2s would be the optimum choice, but I'm not a fan of the pushrod angles involved. The engine rules below just got my mind working. These are for dirt modifieds:

Devil's Bowl Speedway USA Modifieds
Quote:

POWER TRAIN:
A) Can use any American-made engine with iron heads and block.
1. Rear of engine (bell housing flange) must be mounted at least 72” forward of the centerline of the rear axle. Engine offset must be within 2” of the centerline of the front frame crossmember. The minimum engine height is 11” from the ground to the front center of the crankshaft.
2. Cooling systems can be modified as long as radiator and/or coolers do not extend above the interior. Overflow tubes must be directed toward the ground inside the frame rails.
3. No total dry sump oiling systems allowed. The wet systems must be operable.
4. Fuel can be gasoline or alcohol. No performance-enhancing fuel additives of any kind. Use of any such additive will subject the driver to a $1,500 fine, four weeks suspension from races for the driver and car, and loss of all points for the year.
5. A single two-barrel or four-barrel naturally-aspirated carburetor is allowed. Fuel injection, electrical fuel pumps, and/or magnetos are not allowed.
6. Engines used in competition must be capable of use in a conventional passenger car without alterations. Motor mounts, castings, and/or fittings cannot be altered. Machine work on the outside of the engine, front of camshaft, or rear of camshaft is not allowed.
7. The heads must be in stock configuration. Valve degree cannot deviate more than 1 degree from stock. No raised runners.

Enid Speedway Modifieds
Quote:

23. ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS: Any American make engine allowed. Iron heads and blocks. Steel oil pan only.
All engines must be able to be used in conventional passenger cars without alterations. Engine mounts cannot be
removed or altered. Castings and fittings must not be changed. No machine work on outside of engine. Wet oiling
systems only.

Obviously, roller cams and unlimited cubes are the norm, but traction is limited by small, somewhat hard spec tires.

OIF V and OEF X veteran and proud of it!