Quote:

Quote:

logs make power, but wont last

what happened to them ? your experience with their lifespan was how short ? what material was used ? since all we are using is logs maybe I can benefit from that info.

I threw them in the garbage after ruining the second turbo(I'll explain in a minuite, my fault).My experience with lifespan can be divided in two... How long I had them and used them, and how long I could use them without repairing them. On the first, I would say around 8-10 years. On the second, as they aged, failure went up exponentially. It got to the point that after a few hard runs they would crack. I have to admit that I use retarded timing/high fueling for launch/boost control, which takes its toll. I got so tired of fixing cracks that I stopped taking them off to fix them. This procedure is what lead to turbo failure. Weld slag hitting your turbine wheel isn't healthy for your turbo. Guys, I strongly suggest using a purging gas on the inside of the tubes to stop any slag/sugaring from happening.
My logs started out with 3/4" steel plates for flanges, and steel scd 40 weld els from a place in town called R&B Wagner. Over time the tubing started shrinking, but the flanges didn't. This caused broken studs, warped flanges, blown gaskets, cracked cylinder heads... I would machine the flanges flat, and they would just bow again(easier and easier every time, getting thinner). I've had this discussion before, and I'm convinced that with some slip fit expansion joints placed in the right areas, they would have been much less troublesome. I spent big money on building my stainless headers, and gained no performance, but I never had to touch the exhaust for repairs after going that route, and would gladly spend the money again to do it on the next car.
This is the only picture I could find of my old logs. It's a copy of a copy, so its pretty rough.

5843611-OLDLOG.JPG (84 downloads)

"use it 'till it breaks, replace as needed"