Quote:

I'll work on getting the correct part #. I have never seen the amperage color swabs on anything earlier than '70. The sole exception being a special "isolated field" alternator used in some higher amperage applications in 69. Strange looking piece. What we do typically find on the back shell near the top threaded hole is a black or red dot. Usually about the size of a pencil eraser. The NOS and low mileage originals appear to have a thick coating of tinted insulating varnish on the stator frame. Sort of a translucent walnut color which quickly rusts underneath. Rotors are finished in the same type insulating varnish. I'm not very picture savy but maybe another member here can post up something.

Thanks, I have some pictures coming of an original unit. I was told it has a dark red paint mark about 3/4 long and about 3/16-1/4 wide. Would like any information I can find from the original units to try and get these right.
BTW, I have a 69 unit I was looking at that has a dark red/maroon paint marking on the rear. If it would help you in any way I can send you some pictures.

Dan