So, my tired 318 is starting to show its age, and I'm looking for a little more umphh. I don't know if the 360 will be 'good enough' for what I need, or if I should just go with the 408

This would be going in my '72 W200;
4400' Elevation
4.10s & 32" tires
E10 gas
~5600 lbs

Would be used for pulling horses and highway driving moving stuff around. Will likely never see much over 3k rpms.

I have a line on two 360s ('89 & '90), so both roller cams, pre-mag, and TBI. (May hold out for a 93+ with MPI)

It WILL be Fuel Injected. If I go with a 360, I figure I'll use the stock computer system. With the 408 I'd go with the Ford EEC-IV system. I can get the system free off a friends car he's parting out.

Eventually I was thinking it may be nice to swap in a 518 to get the highway RPMs down, but I'm not sure if the 360 by itself would have enough torque to maintain speed at ~2k rpms? Currently running ~2800 @ 60mph.

I figured that when I build the 360, it'll need to be bored/decked/etc to get a higher CR and quench, so why not throw a stroker kit at it at the same time.

Mainly, it must be reliable. Once it's buttoned up, I don't want to open it again for another 10 years.

So what say ye moparts? 360 or 408? Or will more cubes always win out

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck.