Found some pics, here we go...

First off, some info. This car is a 1970 Challenger with a scheduled production date of August 26, 1969. An early car, but well into regular production. The drivers door is original. The car was T boned on the passenger side sometime, and that passenger door was replaced with a non-1970 door. Due to other parts that were replaced at the same time, I'm guessing that the passenger door is off of a 71, but I'm not positive. I only know for sure that it's not from 1970.

Keep in mind that this is a comparison of a Drivers door to a Passenger door, so it's not exactly an apples to apples comparison. Still, as far as I know, the only real difference in mounting holes between the driver and passenger door is the provisions for the remote mirror cable on the drivers side. As far as I know, the sheetmetal on all drivers doors came with provisions for this remote mirror cable, even if the car came with a non-remote drivers mirror.

Ideally I plan on going to a mopar junkyard I know of and comparing only drivers doors. The drivers doors have the VIN decal showing build date, which will help me track differences. Until then, this is what I have so far.

That I can tell, the door skin did not change from 70-74.

The rivnut spacing is the same on 70 non remote oval mirrors, 70 remote short base mirrors, 71-74 non remote round mirrors, & 71-74 remote long base mirrors. Not all cars had passenger side mirrors, so if you're swapping a passenger door, you may need to fill or drill mirror holes as needed. I've looked into the subject of passenger side mirror location quite a bit, and near as I can tell, the passenger mirror location measurements are supposed to match the drivers side measurements, although a lot of people adding a mirror have just eyeballed it.

Although earlier Challenger exterior door handles are concave to match the body of the car, while later handles were flat to be universal with the barracuda models, the sheetmetal of the door itself remained concave in this area and did not change 70-74. For this reason, the earlier concave handles will fit best, even though they are not "correct" for a later car.

I think the stainless steel trim that goes on top of the door on some cars is held on with metal clips. A door with this trim would have holes for the metal clips. Adding or deleting this trim on a donor door for your car may take a little work, but could be done.

I haven't had a chance to investigate body side molding on many doors yet. Info is appreciated.

Tav

5736958-doorindex1.jpg (2001 downloads)
Last edited by cataclysm80; 01/16/10 09:53 PM.