OK 62MAXWagn....your dual carb set up looks like the way mine should be! Same single plane manifold with 2 Carter AFB's. Yuor tranny kickdown linkage looks totally different from mine though...

Yeah, I'm switching from dual quads to a single quad....it's a PAIN the way its set up now for a variety of reasons. It's kind of a shame, but I'm hoping to accomplish at least these things by doing so:
1) Get the engine to idle right and be responsive off the line. As it is now, response is kinda lazy unless you give the throttle a good wack.
2) I've been having a hell of a time keeping both carbs in synch...causing part throttle surging and occasionally throttle on rear carb does not close down all the way giving a WAY high idle.
3) Less fuel fumes...I know gas now-a-days is super volatile with the added ethanol and my car doesn't have a vapor recovery system...but with ONE carb sitting on the manifold with a big enough air filter to absorb the fumes...its gotta be better than TWO carbs sitting there with tiny air filters.
4) The engine should LAST longer getting a better distributed fuel mixture.
5) Dare I mention it...I'm getting say 10, 11 or at best a hair over 12 mpg if I can get 13, 14 or 15 instead it would be a big improvement. Not only money wise, but I do quite a bit of driving and having to stop for fuel less often is a big convenience factor.