Quote:

Quote:

What is your comp ?? It does seem odd that with aluminum heads and the 292-509 comp cam with 32 total timing that it would ping ?? Do you where the cam is degreed at ?? Ron

It's not odd he has vacuum advance pulling in a ton of extra cruise advance that today's gas won't allow and when he gives it more light throttle the cylinder pressure rises causing ping which would not have happened in the days of 98 octane regular and up to 106 high test. You have to tone down (limit) the amount of vacuum advance to stop that ping. Vacuum advance is a crude cruise gas mileage device not suited very well for todays fuels.

Just found this on his engine "I also used Rhoads lifters" will make it work like a small cam at low RPMS I assume

Forgot he runs a vacum advance. But I run all 38 total timing in by 2000 rpm on the 906 headed 440 in my 63 and it runs great on 92 pump. I have nice quench and never have any ping. Course with vacum advance he could be in the 50's with total timing. I myself dont like to run a vacum advance on my modified from stock engines. But thats because I run all total in by 2000 and tune it that way so I dont need the vacum advance. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 11/14/09 06:19 PM.