Quote:

The 1970 Washer Bottle is a one year only piece. I have seen plenty of early '71's with leftover 70 parts but I have never seen a '70 with '71 parts (from the factory) on them. The over the counter washer bottle replacement would have been the '71 style. After almost 40 years a replacement bottle would look like the right age. All '70 E-Bodies I have or have seen (Including all my T/A's and AAR's have the 70 style washer bottle.

Galino Groovy started the foolish myth that smallblock negative cables were not on the engine when painted...more BS. I have loads of proof that they were on and painted.

Wire holders - I have seen both ways but the paint did not stick well on those. Most I have had were painted.

I agree with others that stated an engine color dipstick tube and black handle - on a 70. The 69 340's tube and stick were painted Blue - engine color.

Misc. Stuff I have found...

The distributor hold-downs are copper plated.

The fuel pumps were painted on the engine.

The loose washer (found on many untouched cars) under the intake bolt (which have a captive washer) are brass or copper.

T/A's used Organosol on the cowl and fenders. The cowls were masked off and not free-hand as on other e-bodies.

Most Trans-Am (only) cars have 2 plugs in the floor similar to the rubber-steel plugs for the rear shock towers in the trunk but about half the diameter. I have never seen these on anything other than a Trans-Am car.

Hi Jimmy, or is it Ed
Here is what I will do. I will try and address each question as you posted them and see if we can shed a little light on things.

First off the washer bottle. This is a fun one!! I don't know why but it seems like many of the late run T/As had the 71 bottles in them. Maybe it was a Hamtramak thing, maybe it was a T/A thing but I do know that none or the AARs had the 71 bottle, only the T/A.

Here is a picture of a very low milage T/A with a 71 bottle in it...

5589109-EngineBay12.jpg (383 downloads)
Last edited by Troy; 11/06/09 01:34 AM.

....there is nothing like driving my 1968 Hemi Dart around town and having people looking at you like you're nuts!!