Never met him but was always in awe of his max wedge cars in the late 60s and early 70s.

long winded story.......

While living in Homestead Florida in the early 70s, I called about an ad for a 426 HEMI($1000) and a 426 max wedge($325) for sale. The guy had already sold the HEMI but still had the wedge. I went over to look at it even though I wasn't looking to buy one. The max wedge engine was sitting in the bed of an early 60s Ford pickup covered up with a tarp. He said he had moved from Seattle a few years earlier...and the Hemi had been in the Ford as a parts getter at his body shop. He asked me if I had heard of Dave Wren and I told him sure..He was a friend of Dave and got the maxie motor from him. It was supposed to have came out of a '63 330 Dodge. The seller raced the Max Wedge in a '39 Chevy gasser. I tried to get him to come down on the price but he wouldn't budge. I went ahead and bought it plus he threw in a set wild looking headers that were made for the gasser. It turned out to be a StageII motor(11-1cr).

I had the engine in a couple '63 Plymouths but the last one was a lite weight '63 Savoy before selling it to one of Bob Marshal's employees. This is my old car today...

http://www.classicmusclecars.com/cgi-bin/swrm/det.cgi?id=283616242

Maybe some of you old geezers remember the gasser in Washington or the motor in the Columbus/ Reynoldsburg area... and if you talk to Dave ask him if he remembers the max wedge gasser guy.