Dougsmopars, thanks for the response. I don't have a clue about recurving a distributor. Rapid Robert is sending me a curve chart that he has.
I haven't even heard of recurving the distributor.
I don't understand why I have been able to drive the car as long as I have without problems, but I have always had the pinging under pressure from aceleration UNLESS I full throttle it in a lower gear. The older distributor is one I purchased with the chrysler ecu when I started driving the car eight or so years ago. The latest distributor was purchased based upon recommendation by Rick Erhenburg. Its a 71 big block reman. He was very specific in the one to get. Would the lack of power, based upon what feels like missing be likely because of the timing too far advanced.

Last question, how do you fix this? Recurve by adding metal to the slots? I belive that is what Rapid Robert is talking about.

One other thing, I have spent some time discussing the timing with my machine shop. They are assuring my that my compression is not high enough to cause this pinging. I use 93 octane all the time. Once, I added race gas to the tank and it seemed to eliminate the knocking. I need to get some more gas now, so I will add race gas in it now to see if it helps.

Thanks again.