Quote:

Had the same problem with my road runner. Brand new clutch plate throw out bearing resurfaced wheel rebuilt z bar pedal would only come up half way. Also clutch wouldn't last. Could not find the reason or problem finally got pissed off and sold the car. The clutches were Hayes

!!! MAN !!! Some of you give up easy.

Look guys, this is simple. Clutches are simple mechanical devices. I know it's work I'VE BEEN THERE. I've probably had the 4 speeds in/ out of all my various Mopars I've owned some 30 times or more, I wasn't counting. So I know it's work. So get going. Get greasy. Get UNDER there.

First thing to do is inspect the linkage from one end to the other. Inspect the pedal bushings, the pedal, the rods, and espessially the "Z bar." Get a buddy to run the clutch in/out while you crawl under and look for things bending or moving that shouldn't, or not moving that should.

IF all else fails find a friendly friend/ shop/ etc with a press and "jig up" the flywheel, disk, and pressure plate and measure finger travel and disc clearance at release.

Put it back in the car and recheck. Bore a hole in the bell/ shield if you have to, to get a feeler ga. up in between the disc/ pp to check release. Take a GOOD look at things like the fork.

THIS IS SIMPLE MECHANICS and levers. There's nothing complicated about it.

DO NOT easily negate problems you think it "isnt" Is it the correct pp? Does it REALLY fit the flywheel? Right disc? in backwards? Bend/ bending fork/ linkage? Broken mount/ engine moving? Frame bracket loose/ cracked/ bending? Z bar cracked?

There CAN be stuff wrong with pressure plates, junk caught inside between the plate and cover, etc.

Is it the right Z bar? are the levers and rods the correct lenth so that the levers are near 90* to the rods in the "main" part of the swing?

Last edited by 440sixpack; 09/01/09 06:20 PM.