Great responses and very helpful. This is supposed to be a bone stock 383 and I have no reason to doubt it. Bought it represented to have 39000 miles which was on the Title (I know big deal) but every part of the car looks it. Engine revs surprisingly quick up and down which also supports the low mileage claim. But, regardless, its 45 years old and the motor isn't a spring chicken anymore. Absolutely stock under the hood including the foil heat barrier underneath the intake.

This will always be a street cruiser and not a race car while I own it but like everyone else I like to punch it and feel the power. I expect one of these days I'll be locking horns with one of the little imports on the street and would like to have a presentable showing for the old gal.

But, the old saw seems to be just as true today as it was 40 years ago. "Speed cost money--how fast do you wanna go?"

Love to put a stroker, upgraded 4 speed A/T trans and converter with a 65-67 suregrip and higher gears, but that's another $15-20k by the time the brakes, suspension and other items are upgraded to match the power. Not sure I can justify that as I don't have that many years of driving this type car left in me and what I see the modified 64's bringing (or not bringing) these days is pretty sad. Guys are lucky to get half their money back.

So, I GUess I'll take this a little at a time and see where it leads me. I'll change out the intake, carb, maybe headers or HP manifolds (by the way are these manifolds almost as good as headers) and definitely some suspension updates. I sure don't remember the 60's cars driving so loose and sloppy. Kinda like driving a boat. I've added HD shocks so hopefully some swaybars and better tires will help.

I just know one thing leads to another and it's hard to just do one upgrade without wanting or having to do several others. So, I guess we're off to see the wizard!

Any other recommendations are greatly appreciated especially on which mods to do 1st.

Butch

Last edited by Real-Fury; 08/18/09 12:40 PM.