I was speaking with Poorboy in another thead but I felt I should start another one. Didn't want to hijack it. Anyway, I have a 1977 Volare and want a car that can handle pretty well. I'm not a racer or dirt tracker. I want a better suspension under the car than the torsion bar setup under it now. Poorboy (Gene) has had some experience with F body's and reccomended that I use a cut down Dakota frame and suspension. I've thought about that, but, I think my car would sit too high. I have another idea that I'd like to throw around and get some feedback.

The 03-09 Crown Victoria and Merc Marauder are body on frame cars and have a really good suspension setup. They are also VERY close to the F body in overall dimensions. Wheelbase for the Fords are 114.7" vs. 108.7" for the two door F body. Front track is a little wider on the Fords but I've had my tape measure out and found that I can just stuff the Vics suspension under my Volare fenders (with the proper offset wheels). Front track 60.0" for F body, 63.4" for the Ford.

Which brings me to this. I'd have to narrow the Ford frame about 3" to fit under the F body and shorten the wheelbase to match. I'd also have to completely cut out the Volare subrame and brackets. My question is: Is this feasable? Or practical? This is more of a Street Rodder query because you guys do this on a regular basis (splicing frames I mean). Any help Gene? Thanks in advance for the inputs.

Greg

Last edited by Greg55_99; 08/02/09 06:33 PM.