Quote:

The difference in voltage you posted between the alt and battery isn't bad. This voltage will depend on several things:

The amount the system is charging at the time, IE if that battery is somewhat low, and it's charging hard, the voltage between those two points, known as "voltage drop" will be higher

The size of the wire will affect this reading, the smaller the wire, the larger the drop

Any loose/ poor/ corroded connections in the path between the alt and battery will raise the voltage

Any bad stuff in the infamous bulkhead connector and the ammeter--if it's not bypassed will raise the voltage.

As the battery comes "up" and the ammeter normallizes at 0 charge, this voltage drop will decrease, depending on the amount of "stuff" you have turned on, IE AC, fans, lights, etc

Unless you have an intermittent problem, what you are saying now sound pretty normal

yes, that is the problem, sort of. i don't know if the battery was bad, or if something else intermittent is going on. i'll just have to wait and see. i'm taking the car out tomorrow, so i will see if it has held the charge, and how it does.

i'll report back if there are any problems, as obviously i'll still have to work on tracing it.