Quote:

A lot of the tire shops are going to a nitrogen fill rather than compressed air. The theory is that nitrogen does not expand and contract with temp changes like compressed air does. For example blow up a balloon, tie it and put it in the freezer. Take it out an hour later and see that it has shrunk. Leave it out in the sun and it will expand. Supposedly nitrogen will not shrink or expand. I am not a chemist, just relaying what I have been told. Green valve stem caps indicate nitrogen filled tires. It is also compatible with normal compressed air.

nope, Ideal gas law: PV=nRT

P=pressure
V=Volume
n=# moles (molecules) of gas
R= ideal gas law constant
T=temp

increase or decrease temp, keep volume the same, pressure goes up or down. keep pressure the same, volume goes up or down.

air is ~78% nitrogen, ~21% oxygen and the rest water vapor, argon, CO2, etc, etc.

don't remember the physical size of 02 molecules vs. N2 molecules whether or not there's merit there. the main advantage I can see of using compressed nitrogen from supplied cylinders is there is no oxygen to oxidize the rubber from the inside, and no water vapor and oxygen to oxidize the inside of the rim. the no water vapor is probably 99% of the benefit.

1976 Spinnaker White Plymouth Duster, /6 A833OD
1986 Silver/Twilight Blue Chrysler 5th Ave HotRod **SOLD!***
2011 Toxic Orange Dodge Charger R/T
2017 Grand Cherokee Overland
2014 Jeep Cherokee Latitude (holy crap, my daughter is driving)