Quote:

Quote:

You definitely do NOT want a double pumper for your application. Heavy car + stock 440 + 3.23's + auto trans(I assume) = bad. A double pumper is not for you, stick to a vacuum secondary carb. If you want a spread bore carb, do what I do and run a thermoquad. It runs great on my 440 in my satellite plus gets good fuel mileage for what it is.

Got my vote!

I learned this lesson at young age. I had a '78 440 Fury cop car. Heavy car, tight converter, low (numerically) rear end gears. Long story short, I put an 800 double pumper on it. What a dog! You had to feather-foot the throttle until the RPM came up, or it was very evident that the car was slowing down as the throttle was increased. You had to learn how to drive the car and always be aware of throttle position, and gradually increase the throttle as the revs came up. After I got tired of that nonsense, I ran a non-lean burn Thermoquad on the same car and it ran great. It didn't look all racy and cool like the double pumper, but you could smack the throttle to the floor any time and the carb did the rest.

I've also run Holley 3310s (750 Vac sec) on mild 440s with great results after tweaking. So have a zillion other folks.

My advice - don't make the same expensive mistake I made when I was young and foolish. TQ or Holley VS would be my recommendation.

Jim