So, if the space to work is tight (I have no doubt), can you remove the current clutch fan without removing the current fan shroud?

I have not worked on your project, but I can tell you there are not many radiators with fan shrouds and clutch fan set ups where the clutch fan comes out without removing the shroud with it. It may look like it will come out, but usually something will prevent it from happening.

If you have to remove the shroud so you can get your clutch fan out to replace the clutch, I don't see how its that much easier to replace that mess then it would be to convert to an electric fan that is attached to a shroud the fits your current radiator. All you need then is to add the fan controller and wire it in, That only took me about a 1/2 hour to do.

The electric fan only comes on when the temp reaches the set point, and then it turns off when the temp cools down. Through most of the winter months, my electric fan doesn't run much. It will only come on if I'm sitting at a traffic light and often shuts off as soon as the truck starts moving. That electric fan speed is not connected to the truck motor's rpms at all, (you can buy fans and controllers that vary the electric fan speeds, but they are expensive, and honestly, I'd rather have the fan kick on at full speed and bring the temp down faster) and those electric fans don't pull HP from the motor to drive them. They come on, do their job, then turn off without driver input, but if you really feel a need to be involved, you can add a shut off switch to turn the fan off any time you choose, and turn it on as long as the temp controller says its suppose to be running. I'm betting that once you see how well that electric fan and controller works, your probably not going to want to be messing with any switch to turn it off. I do have my fan powered through the ignition switch so it doesn't run when the motor isn't running. That is the way the fan and controller companies recommend to power the fans.

You will notice the modern Ram radiators don't look like your radiator looks. The "factory" truck electric fans will require some effort to mount them to your current radiator. Buy a fan that fits your radiator. The current electric fans are much better then those produced in the early days, as long as you don't buy the cheapest crap fan you can find.