Originally Posted by moparx
Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

I’ve had Erie car insurance since I was 16 ( now 68)
I bought my house in 1984 and added Erie home insurance
I built my shop in 1991 and added an Erie insurance policy to it.

i have been with erie since 1972. had nationwide in 1968 until the switch.
we bought our house in 1983, and added it to erie, and have been happy ever since.
we now have a "guaranteed rate" on the auto until we move or buy a new car, because we have been with them so long. i'm stuck here until i cash in, and unless the "bus" gets run over by a big truck it's not getting replaced, so no worries there.........
the house insurance went up a little this year, maybe $20.00 [?] but the replacement value went up as well. at least it didn't jump 100 or more !
beer

The last two yrs my total insurance costs have decreased, not significantly but they have still gone down. In the past 10 yrs my homeowners insurance has increased by $300 a yr. Again over a ten yr period this is not significant. The insured value like your's has also gone up. Its more than tripled. Since 2007 I've had one claim. This yr they paid to replace my roof. The cost was 20k. When I retired in 2020 the cost would have been $7900. The cost of materials and labor has increased at a ridiculous rate. I'm sure my rates will go up in June. I'll know in about two weeks when I get my renewal. If you doubt the roof cost figures just stop. I traveled nationwide handling catastrophe claims for a long time (30 yr rep). I wrote my own roof estimate before I left and compared it to what was written. Everything was correct only the cost has changed.
The insurance companies actuarial scales can no longer keep up. Depending on where you live it isn't going to get better anytime soon.

Ok