Curious if anyone knows if hypothetically two engines where build to achieve the same HP on a street driven car if there would be any noticeable drivability differences between one with a flat tappet solid lifter cam and a hydraulic cam? I think there was an Engine Masters episode where the HP differences between solids and hydraulics was very minimal on the dyno, and the real advantage of the solid is higher rpm use to avoid valve float - aka high shift point race car type stuff?

From what I understand hydraulic lifters don't operate with the full effect of the cam profile at low to moderate rpms due to less oil pressure that creates some slack in the system? If this true would a solid cam setup making the same HP have any advantage as far as faster response on acceleration when just driving around? Say accelerating from a roll like passing someone on the highway, etc. Does the oil pressure in hydraulic lifters go up so fast you can't tell one from the other? Majority of people build hydraulic setups for street type engines for no maintenance use, but are they really getting the most responsive setup for driving around with?

I looked around on the internet and can't really find anyone talking about solid cams as far as if they provide a different driving experience at all.

EDIT: Read the 2nd comment down from the top in the video that kinda covers it maybe. He is talking about roller cams, but wonder if this would also apply to flat tappets? https://youtu.be/GZTdo2-cGCM?si=xiXzrgD5dXZ_u7LU

Last edited by Neil; 03/20/24 09:59 PM.