Originally Posted by moparmike1
Originally Posted by IROC78
I hear you there Potato. I have also bought cars from great people, and not so great people. The issue is my friend is in FL and the car is in WA so they are about as far apart as they could possibly be and he would be buying it without seeing it in person. I told him that from what I could tell after searching through his posts on FBBO the guy seems legit and that I saw no reason to doubt he is getting an accurate description of the car. Then I happened to see this thread where Carsten mentioned the seller possibly not having such a good reputation in Germany. Having said that, I feel like whenever you are selling a used vehicle there is a lot higher chance of a dissatisfied customer than if you were selling a more simple item like a book. I told him to give the guy a call and see what kind of feeling he gets after talking to him and his gut instinct may give him the answer on what he should do.

After your friend calls the seller and feels him out, I'd suggest you reach out to members here for anyone who's relatively close and can go see the car in person. Offer paying a fee for their time, gas, etc.

Never buy a car sight unseen, regardless of the seller, etc.
Buying sight unseen is a risk for sure but sometimes to find what you really want you may have to take that chance. I've done it close to ten times, only burned once. It's always much more preferable of course to see and inspect but flying from FL to CA to look at a car isn't something I can do. There are inspection companies that will inspect and sent super detailed photos. I paid $250 once to have a car inspected and it told me not to buy after seeing the pics.

Facts are stubborn things.