I completely agree with you on the kyb shock comment.
But as far as moog, as bad as they may be there is definitely worse.
The only all out failure I've ever had was on my 01 Durango.
When I bought that one 3 of the 4 ball joints were toast.
I was all ready to go get everything in moog to redo the front end, and on the recommendation of a dealer mechanic buddy I went with the dealer "recall package" uppers. He had said he'd bought those several times back then for his side jobs (they fit more years than were covered by that recall) I still went at the time and bought the moog lowers as I had originally planned to do.
The recommended parts from the dealer were half the price of moog at the time.
This was about 10 years ago
7000 miles after I put them in, we were in Houston for a college visit at a school my son was considering going to.
We were driving past a factory, crossed a set of RR tracks and all of a sudden my steering wheel was sharply "off" and I heard a grinding noise. One of those highly recommended ball joints busted at the base of the threads.
I pulled into the factory lot and my son found the closest O'Reilly's, on his phone, which was 2 miles away. We left my wife and my sons girlfriend (now wife) behind and made the 4 mile round trip walk to that O'Reilly's and bought (I insisted) moog uppers despite the counterman's best efforts to talk me into the store brand ones at half the price.
And I refused, asked if he had the moog. He did, and brought me out 2 very dusty boxes of moog upper ball joints for my Durango.
I replaced the one that broke right there on the spot, to get us mobile again.
The next morning I left my wife and son to check out of our motel room, while I replaced the other one before we set off on our way back 19 hours north to the Chicago area.
100k miles later those moog ball joints are still tight and still in my Durango. In between them and now I had the control arms off for bushing replacement, and the ball joints were fine. The last oil change I jacked it up in such a way that I could properly check them for wear and they are still solid.
I will take my chances with moog until they cause me problems.