Originally Posted by mopars4ever
What about the battery chargers for tools? Are they safe to leave plugged in?

My fire was due to a 19.2V Sears cordless drill battery. I had one in the charger fully charged and put the dead battery in the charger when I found out it was completely dead. It only took 5 minutes to catch the garage on fire beyond any chance of putting it out. Apparently the dead battery had a dead short in it and the charger thought it was charging the battery, instead in got hot real fast and ignited papers and old broadcast sheets I had sitting next to the charger. I had it plugged into an old power strip straight into an outlet that went right to the breaker box. I DO NOT leave a battery being charged without me being there to watch it, especially for the first few minutes I plug it in. The insurance company (State Farm) did me good. The only things I did not get reimbursed for was my used and NOS parts since I did not have receipts for them, which was a significant loss! However they did pay for every one of my tools, but I had to buy them first then give them the receipts. I also had a collection of factory brochures from the 40's to the 90's that was lost, they paid me $5K for them, who knows how much I had in them over the years. The nightmares and agrivation still goes on today, I will never get fully over it... frown

121912121705.jpg

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!