Originally Posted by topside
I suppose you could experiment with selecting N and using the handbrake - if the vehicle has one - at low speeds.
I would guess that system is activated by some combo of brake switch & vehicle speed sensor.
This RAV-4 knows when it's sitting still, but like I said, pedal pressure can activate the stop/start even with that feature switched off.

Very few of the newer cars have an actual handle for an emergency brake. Most all of them have an electric parking brake only which just immediately locks up the brakes which if used in an emergency would most likely cause the loss of control. One other so called safety feature is when the car is put into reverse the side view mirrors turn down so that the only thing you can see are the rear tires and I do understand why that's done. But with the mirrors pointing down I can't really see where I'm backing beyond the end of the car. Some will say that's what the cameras are for but call me old school, I don't trust the camera's, they are pointed directly behind the car, and if they get dirty you won't have a clear view. I want to see directly down the side of the car to see what's next to me. You can't do that when it's pointed down the the rear tires..

69 Fury convertible
69 Roadrunner
75 Scamp
14 Ram 1500
18 Jeep Cherokee
www.69roadrunner.net www.plymouthbulletin.com