Originally Posted by jcc

So the divorce judgement required you to sign over mutual funds to the ex.
But you have not yet signed anything?
The ex has closed the account by means unbeknownst to you and has a check as a cash out made out to at least you?
I would say you need a lawyer for tax purposes and to draft an air tight signed/notarized release of any transfer as required by the judgement.
I am puzzled whether you are tax liable since its a judgment for release of the funds, or by you signing the check you have a capital gains conversion for you and a "gift" to her.
Get a lawyer.

The judgment said I had to sign them over. I let the company know what was happening and that they were going to be signed over to her so we could get the information needed and the ball rolling. The company was informed the day of the divorce (9/15/2023) didn't do it as I asked. It was to be in her name only. on 11/16/2023 I got a text from the ex saying I needed to sign the check because my name is on it. The online account information shows it in the trust name and not mine and closed and her address instead of mine where it was before, so I have no idea who the check is actually written to. I am not wanting to be held liable for it as income to me or paying any taxes on it since they are not my funds. But she was money hungry and jumped on everything she could get. She didn't get as much as she could have, but it is what it is. I had a feeling she just wanted this account to close it and get the cash. If she would have waited, I was working on correcting the account name. Every time the company said it was corrected, it wasn't. I figure one of two things will happen: I get stuck paying taxes and she forges my name to deposit it or I get stuck paying taxes and the check runs out of time to cash it because I'm not signing it. I will know more after I talk with the company that does my taxes after work. It's a check for about $13k, so not a huge amount, but it's not going to me so I don't want to pay any taxes on it. The small amount of taxes I would pay would be cheaper than a lawyer I'm sure if I have to go that route.