Originally Posted by topside
Jeep Cherokees roundabout 10 years old seem OK & viable.
4Runners are spendy around here unless they're piles.
Actually considered a Focus until I read about their litany of problems, and a buddy had an Edge that cost him dearly in repairs.
Found an '01 Grand Cherokee I kinda like - 130K for $7995 & looks clean - any problems with them ?

That generation of Grand Cherokee (WJ) aren't bad. I've acquired a few of them to put my kids in them during their school years. Ours range from 150-325k miles and all had some sort of problems that allowed me to purchase them for cheap, knowing I would need to perform repairs. I don't think I paid over $2k for any one of them. I've seen some in the $5-8k range that are lower mileage and look pretty nice. I wasn't willing to pay that much so have never l looked at these. All mine run good now. Haven't had any major issues with them that I wasn't aware of when we bought them.
Things to be aware of with these...
1) using coolant. Some of these have cracked heads and suck coolant some of the have head gaskets that loose ability to seal over time and will allow coolant to get sucked into cylinders.
2) damage in the drivers doors wire harness. in the simplest case, this prevents windows and door locks from working. In worst case it creates a mod buss error that will lead to a host of dash warning lights becoming active.
3) rear hatch locks and airbag sensing units in the column fail. Easy replacements for both.
4) I've had to replace wheel bearings and CV boots in all of them at some point or another. Could be indicative of early life lack of care. No issues with my replacements.