Originally Posted by jcc
Originally Posted by Sniper
Originally Posted by jcc
OP asked specifically how to make his car "corner". I believe your suggestion on ISO mounts etc more effects "handling", and I believe there is a subtle but important distinction between the two.

Your distinction is turd polishing.

In the case of the isolated style suspensions your best improvement for cornering OR handling is replacing those rubber isolator bushings first.

Well, I do not claim to overly knowledgeable in "turds", so I'll stick to SB's and the Op's choice of words, as subtle as they may be.

As the owner of a couple of these "turds" (73-74 B Body) I can assure you that the Iso suspension is a different animal.
If you don't ELIMINATE the Iso bushings, not just replace with new or urethane, you can't go straight down the highway, much less "corner" or "handle."
Keep in mind I'm not talking about control arm bushings or spring shackle bushings.
Chryslers Iso suspension experiment was an attempt to isolate the suspension from the body.
When the bushings isolating the K frame from the body get soft, loose or worn, it can cause the car to self-steer as the steering column is attached to the body, the steering gear is attached to the K frame, and the two are moving independently of each other.
No tires or sway bars can help fix that! eek

And let's not forget the rubber steering column isolator between the steering column and the steering gear. When that gets old that just adds to the fun!
Then there's the isolator pads between the leaf springs and the differential. When those go soft the diff can move independently of the springs!
And many leaf springs of this vintage have the oval front spring eyes. When those loosen up, you can have rear steering!

Last edited by wmdj5; 11/17/23 04:33 PM.