So you have him dropping the tranny first? Probably a heavyass NP435. What if it is married to a transfer case? I too have done this a gazillion times over the decades. Myself I pull the tranny with the motors a lot of the time. I assemble as much as I can out of the vehicle.
If needing just the motor I would leave the clutch and bell on the motor and leave the tranny in place. Much easier for me to deal with 4 bolts under the vehicle and the clutch on the floor out of the vehicle. I have alinement studs that I use when reinstalling the motor and mating back onto the tranny. Easy peasy.
I laugh my a$$ off over the cars shows on TV. 4 or 5 guys to install a motor. I'm 60 something and half crippled and still R&R motors and trannys by myself. Always have. Just installed a 74 LS-7 454 and M-22 into a 67 Vette. Also a 469 BB with 833 into a 70 Bee.
On the Vette the tranny has to go in first then the motor with bell goes in and mates. Kind of a plan but not too bad.
On the Bee the motor with tranny went in all together. Much easier.
Everyone has their way of doing things.

72 Satellite Sebring Plus 440, 72 Dart 5.9 4-spd, 68 Valiant, 73 W200, 78 D100 sb, 78 D200, 98 DAKOTA, .
Moparmarks Parts & Restorations
Desert Mopar Metal
Grand Jct. CO
970-261-7039
http://moparmark.com/
motormangj@gmail.com