I currently have a 5 speed with the hydraulic clutch. Having had mechanical clutch linkage in the past, I would say the hydro is easier on my old knee (I'm 67), but like mentioned earlier, it does have a diaphragm pressure plate. That could be a big part of the easier pedal push.

The hydro clutch seems to have a bit slower clutch engagement then the mechanical linkage used to have, but the difference only shows up when you dump the clutch or shift fast (again, that could be the pressure plate). Under normal driving conditions its very hard to detect. If you don't intend to do much "racing" it works out OK, I believe it might show up in time slips. For the occasional burn out, or rubber in 2nd, it still works OK once you get used to it Clutches seem to last a lot longer then they did when I was younger, but that probably doesn't have anything to do with the hydro / mechanical thing though.

i think maybe the biggest difference between the mechanical and the hydro is the hydro is consonant from start of pedal movement until its finished. There is little effort required to hold the pedal down at a traffic light (it about like holding your foot on the brake pedal at a stop light), and there is not that hard spot in the center of the pedal travel. The hydro seems to reduce the shock to the drive train, but that too could just be my old age.