I have a 12 ram 1/2 ton 2wd as well. The PO set this truck up with a trailer brake box and supplemental air bags in the back.
It had brand new brakes done 5000 miles before I got it.
I've put 35k on this truck since I got it. Ive done a little towing with it this past summer, a Small camper that weighs about 1/2 the supposed rated tow capacity for this truck.
I noticed the first time I towed this camper (of 4 times total) my truck started pulsating/thumping hard. I replaced the front rotors with the "oe replacement grade" EBC rotors. Pads were still well over 1/2 so I left them for now. It still pulsated. Definitely not as bad but still there. Yes the trailer has brakes which work as they are supposed to.

So before the 2nd campout I bought the same brand and grade for the back and put those on.
Problem gone.
I've towed this camper for 2 more campouts since, and still good. The shop the PO had do the brakes while he had it used "Federated" auto parts store brand parts, I don't know what grade.
EBC doesn't come from China. I think they're the only ones that don't. They are made in England if all places.