Oh heck, let me pontificate here why I frown on cowl intakes on high-speed cars.
Let me first point out, it has widely been confirmed in most PU's aero drag is less when an empty bed is driven with the tail gate up. Reason being seems to be there is a built-up air bubble in the bed that guides the over the cab air somewhat gently relatively in a downward slope, but over the tailgate, leading to less drag.

On the front of the car there are two areas of highest drag/disruption, grille area, and the windshield. Modifying windshield slope/rake is very difficult. The air flowing over the grill is in initially an upward trajectory (low pressure area, unsettled air flow) and as it then begins over the hood and it then turns back slightly downward as it moves rearward. the windshield is a large obstruction to this now downward flowing air, it makes I suspect a bit of a "bow" wave, forms a high-pressure bubble and that starts to turn this air back upward were it flows over the top edge of the roof line (like the PU bed example above). The steeper that air attacks the windshield the larger the next bubble (low pressure) forms over the roof, before it starts to curve downward again before it reaches the rear window.

My concern is the cowl engine air intake can only decrease the windshield high pressure bubble in the cowl area mentioned above, making more air strike the windshield at a steeper angle and therefore a larger low pressure area form above the roof.

I am not addressing the benefits of cold air intake, which can also be found in numerous other places, nor why Nascar sticks to this location from the early 60's today, other than their windshields are now highly raked, and it's a great place to insert starting fluid into a hard starting car during a race before EFI, without lifting the hood. twocents

This pic, red high pressure, blue low is informative here IMO, but does show the typical low pressure at the front of the hood most larger less aero grilles that sedans usually have.

08ef4c0d8edf3e822e0ec14b44bf43ff.jpg
Last edited by jcc; 10/06/23 10:21 AM.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.