Originally Posted by moparmike1
Originally Posted by Jer
Being 1985, wouldn't these be the 6.5" version?

There's a long story behind these trim rings, between the original parts produced in the 70s and the repros produced in the 2000s. Here's a good thread on this:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthread...read/Board/1/main/33330/type/thread.html

Odds are, what the seller has listed are the 6.5" version but, the only way to know for certain is to have the person measure the depth.

Regardless, you're right, that's a lot a money.

Mike.

In that Thread a comment by snoopy caught my attention

Back in the early 70's, when Chrysler released their 15x6.5" Rallye wheels, they decided to make the trim rings fit the new 15x6.5" Rallye wheels. So they modified the dies that were used to make the 15x7" rings. For some reason, known only to Chrysler, they used the same part numbers that were used for the original 15x7" rings. This came back to bite them on the butt when they decided to reproduce the original 15x7" trim rings. After they made a batch of the new rings, they discovered that they had reproduced the 15x6.5" trim rings instead of the 15x7".

GM did the same thing with the PB, master assemblies on the C3 corvettes about 1972 changing the length of the MC pushrod and depth of the bore in the MC piston. Because it was only sold as 1 part number they did not change it. 40 years later I'm chasing my tail because of a low but effective brake pedal. Finally found the above information on the Corvette Forum posted by an old guy like I am now. I had a short Pushrod booster with a deep bore master. In addition, the replacement/ rebuilders were unaware of the above as well so it was a roll of the dice when replacing either 1 of the two components. IE: Master cyl. or Booster. If you did them as an assembly no problem.
That fiasco cost me about 30-40 hours. I should mention I was known in my engineering capacities for being a problem because I would raise hell insisting on 100% backwards compatibility or a NEW part # when a change was made
back on subject beer