Interesting thread. I'll chime in and say, that my father was near the very beginning of the process.
His department created vin#'s. That is all he did the entire time he worked for Chrysler Corporation (the og company). From 1963 to the end of 1985, when he was terminally ill, and could not work anymore, due to his impending death...in early 1986 at the age of 49.
He started out at Highland Park (headquarters), then was transferred to an office complex in Hamtramck after a number of years. Then after moving up the ladder, his final assignment was at O.D.M.T.C. Outer Drive near 8 mile, as the 3rd shift supervisor.
His department used the (now ancient) IBM tab computers to generate V.I.N.#'s for vehicles. I still have blank cards, that have keypunches
in them, from the computers, he programmed...his title was Shift Supervisor/lead computer programming.
In 1984 they had a "family day" where employees could invite family in and take a personal tour of the plant. I'll always remember that day with my dad, showing me and my younger brother, his workplace... just a great memory. Thanks Dad!

Edit: this pic is of a work shirt from the plant my dad worked at. I found it at a local Detroit Mopar swap meet many years ago.
He didn't wear this type of shirt, he had to wear a tie and button down shirt, since he was in management.

IMG_20230814_182422252.jpg
Last edited by RoadRunnerLuva; 08/24/23 12:46 PM.

Plymouth Makes It!