I am taking apart a 416" that I built several years ago to refresh it and change some top end parts. This engine has only seen dyno time but then afterwards it sat for 7+ years. I used the appropriate sticky red assembly lube on all the bearing surfaces and journals. The oil system was primed before startup. The engine fired on the first try during the break-in and was run through the proper break-in procedure. Oil pressure was fine.

To me, these rod bearings look a little rough but I'm not sure. Clearly there was some dirt in the engine but as far as I could tell, there were no visible shavings in the oil pan or stuck to the drain plug. I'm wondering if junk got in there while it was sitting and the rash happened when it was turned over? I suppose the bearings did their job embedding whatever debris was in there. All 8 look like this to some degree.

My question is do I need to get new bearings? I have not taken the crank out yet so I don't know if those look the same. The rod journals on the crank seem OK though, I don't see any gouges or what have you. Obviously I need to do a better job cleaning when I reassemble it.

Thanks for any input.

Greg

IMG_6154 copy.jpegIMG_6155 copy.jpegIMG_6157 copy.jpeg
Last edited by RMCHRGR; 08/02/23 05:06 PM.

'71 Duster
'72 Challenger
'17 Ram 1500