Originally Posted by Jambbii
Originally Posted by HotRodDave
Originally Posted by CSK
Originally Posted by Jambbii
I was thinking about going to a 5w-40 vs 0w-40 in my ram because I live in the land of scorched earth. When I tow it is from on thousand feet above see level to almost 8 thousand feet in less than 2 hours and things get pretty hot. There are no signs of issues but was thinking this may be an extra level of protection in this environment. I wouldn't imagine such a small increase would affect the VVT but would rather get some input before I gave it a shot.

Thanks

5/40 & 0/40 are the same viscosity at operating temperature, so no difference ,,,only difference is at cold start up,,,,

Yup, he's not gonna notice any difference in Mesa Arizona this time of year.

It is hot start up even at 5am every morning! Speaking of heat, how hot is too hot for these synthetics?
I was told years ago that all petroleum based motor oil and ATF tranny fluid oils started deteriorating around 275 F and was dead above 325 F. . The guy that told me that was commercial airline pilot and A& P mechanic, he said that all the synthetic oils back then in late 1980 started failing around 525 F temps shruggy work scope
My airplane had a oil cooler thermostat that tried to keep the oil temps above 160 F, and it did that well up My airplane had straight 50 WT oil in it when i bought it and I switch to Mobil AV1 which was a pure synthetic lubricant that didn't carry contaminants worth a hoot, it sludge that motor up badly in a little over 300 hours whiney rant
I then switch to Aero Shell20W 50 WT petroleum base oil and never had any issue with that oil other than it cleaning and washing the sludge off the inside of the motor and partially clogging up the oil cooler in the summer of 1998 whiney rant shruggy I would change the oil and the FAA approved extra long non stock oil filter around 50 hours or less running time. I would cut the oil filter open and inspect it along with sending in an oil sample for testing on every oil change, I did NOT want that motor stopping or failing in flight grin
I did have one partial engine failure when a exhaust valve failed letting a piece of it go through the passenger side rear cylinder after leveling off and starting to adjust the fuel mixture for straight and level flight at 8500 Ft above mean sea level, that took me a little while, probably around 90 seconds, to decide what to do, go back, go home or go to the nearest airport to land, I turned back around 30 miles to land at Prescott, AZ Airport that had a lot of repair facilities on the airport due to them having a Embree Riddle (SP?) Aeronautical training facility their boogie up
The pucker factor was very high shock whiney shruggy

Last edited by Cab_Burge; 07/31/23 07:08 PM.

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)