Originally Posted by pittsburghracer

When you find a timing light you trust do not lone it out. I was and idiot and loaned mine to a college educated mechanical engineer. Two times I told him to lay the wires out of the way. Yep. Five minutes later he came back with my timing light wires almost melted through. He bought me a used piece of she- ite from Facebook. Yaaa it’s worked real well.

Yep, I loaned out my favorite craftsman light and it came back with a broken inductive pickup. I also loaned out a compression gage that never did make it back. I have an old Brown and Sharp dial caliper with a broken bezel. I didn't break it. tsk flame

I should have known better. A mechanic back in the early 70's told me "You make your living with your tools. You don't loan them out and you don't ask to borrow them from another mechanic. If you need a tool buy it and then you will have it." Since I no longer make my living with my tools I have gotten a little lax with that rule and it bit me.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.