"Pretty easy to make a starter list of the prices just to buy a starter car. Price a S60 , price the parts to build even an entry level cast crank stroker just for examples. When you get you list done add on 25% for all the little stuff thats gonna nickle and dime ya to death. Then ask yourself how many hours your gonna have in the car and pay yourself $10 an hour."

the above sums it up as plain as it can get. [and i work cheaper than any person on the planet at times......]
plus, we ain't gettin' any younger ! laugh2
also, in all seriousness, realistically, how many guys have the tools and skills to pull off a "build from a shell" ride ?
i'm not trying to be a smartazz here, and not referring to a show car either.
painting equipment and body working skills ? upholstery skills ? wiring skills ? [i'm not referring to installing a "kit"] and the list goes on a lot longer than you would think.
when someone "wants" a [particular] car, i always ask them what tool selection and mechanical/body skills they have, and sure enough, they possess a lot less than they thought they had or needed for the car they wanted.
sometimes they get upset, other times they are glad i pointed out what i had.
my main point is, i have made [almost] ALL of these mistakes in my years of playing with cars, and i simply do not want others to have to go through my failings and misery.
just my humble opinion formed through my lifetime. your mileage will vary.
beer