Okay, getting a little more confused.

It appears the vent line is completely plugged, I could not blow air from the three-nipple breather back to the tank either by mouth or with my air compressor.

So I figured that was it and took a drive with the gas cap completely off, and while it seemed like it was better, it still did basically the same thing (psi drops with distance/time) although maybe not quite as badly.

So maybe it's two things wrong? Plugged vent line AND the pump is bad, maybe from trying to pull against the vacuum too long?

Or I guess it could still be the inlet sock, or the pushrod.

It also seems like it has a miss, I am not sure if that's fuel pressure related or not.

Any other advice? I am going to let it cool off and then try to run it off a gas can again.

UPDATE: I ran it off the gas can, it started out at about 3 psi and climbed to where it was hovering fairly steady around 6.75 psi at idle. At one point I shut it off and restarted it and it was down to 6 psi. I made sure the hose was not suctioned to the bottom of the can. It seems inconsistent and possibly low for a properly functioning pump (a Carter Street/Strip pump) doing nothing more than drawing from a gas can two feet from the pump.

Also, to add to the fun, cylinder #3 is apparently not firing/dead, that's the misfire. Hopefully it's just the plug and not something bigger.

My love/hate relationship with this car is careening into hate territory pretty quickly...

Thanks.

Greg

Last edited by GregY; 07/05/23 08:38 PM.