Originally Posted by formula_s
If it's a survivor I'd like to see a close up of the dust trails to see which way the "X's" are oriented.

I know exactly what you're talking about. The "X" goes at the bottom. But, I have personally seen Survivors with the stripes correct and upside down. I have even seen some where maybe the fender is correct, the door is upside down and the quarter is correct. My GUESS is that the difference was so subtle that it wasn't noticed at the time and they just put them on. I wasn't there on the line so I don't know.

My other observation with '70 RRs is the headlight bezels. Some Survivors have a screw in the top of the bezel holding it into the header panel and some don't. Just another guess, but I have a feeling that was an assembly line "fix." If the bezel doesn't line up, run a screw in it.

I'd love to hear from anyone who knows for sure. I have this '70 RR that I bought in 1988. It's unrestored but was hit and repaired on the left front. It's hard to tell in this pic (a scan from 1988) but it looks like I have a screw in both headlight bezels. I'll have to check tonight when I get home.

Ed B

70 Runner engine.jpg