If I knew of someone nearby that knew about this stuff, it sure would help. This isn't like the old days where just about every machine shop guy knew the specs of the common engines off the top of his head.
I'm sure there are plenty of tricks to wake up these engines and make more power while still remaining reliable.
I hate to come across like the crusty old dude that refuses to deviate from stock because thats how they built them when they were new so thats how I'm going to build this one.

That isn't the case. Emissions compliance is a big factor if you live where there is testing. Adding EGR is an interesting thought but I'd still have to consider the compression ratio difference.
It was stated that there was a fuel economy increase with the higher compression. I understand that. I'm still pondering if it balances out ....overall fuel costs for each mile.
I'm guessing that all of the gains in HP from 2008 to the 2009+ engines is from multiple points. VVT, improved efficiency in the port design, active intake manifolds, different exhaust manifolds, etc.
The 2008 was rated at 345 HP. The 2009 was 395. Is 50 HP in a 5000 lb truck that noticeable? How much of that gain is from the heads? I'd suspect that the biggest gains were from the cam timing.
If a 2006-2008 5.7 were fitted with these Eagle heads bumping compression about 2 points, I see that one would gain power from the compression increase as well as from the improved head design.
In the past, it was thought that each point of compression can make a difference in HP of about 4%. 8% added to 345 is 372. Add in the increases from the head flow, are we now closing in on the Eagle 395 HP number?
For a classic car, I don't mind running 91 octane premium all the time. I don't drive the car nearly as much as this truck.