one of the things that has me curious is which exhaust manifolds to use. So to recap - gonna build a nice warm Magnum 318, with a '340' cam, Eddy 7577 intake, and 1901 Street Demon carb - gonna use the OE (or new replacement) iron heads, and want the engine to be able to twist it up a bit - would like it to pull hard until shifting at about 6000 rpm, and I'm just wondering which exhaust manifolds will fit and work well. I do not care about 'racing' or max timeslips - could care completely less, just want a nice durable engine that I can hammer on with (semi) reckless glee smile .

Not doing headers. With that in mind my thoughts are naturally to go with a set of 340 manifolds and call it 'good'. I know they flow good and fit good, which is really about all there is to know, but I have two options for the passenger side - the center dump or the true rear angle unit. I already have a pair of the p-side center dump 340 units, but I'm figuring is I want to twist things up I might be best suited with the rear angled p-side unit...but being just a 318 I may not 'need' that much flow potential. Dunno, but I'm gathering parts and figured I'd post up my thoughts, and if anyone has any thoughts I'm happy to hear them.

Again it'll have power steering and a 4-speed, and I'll probably do a hydraulic clutch, and I know a good cast iron welder, and I might go with a set of the typical 1-7/8" or 2-1/8" Magnum manifolds with a modified drivers side unit, and I already have a good set from my 02 Dakota...

I wouldn't be averse to using regular 318 manifolds...but I think there's a genuine 'flow' limitation going that route.

Lastly...I'm really tempted to use the typical 1-7/8" Dakota/Durango manifolds and do whatever is necessary to make the d-side exit work well and be clear of the power steering/column and 4-speed linkage, which I am intending to go with hydraulic clutch linkage, and maybe a kit - something 'modern' version of power steering, maybe rack n pinion.

...anyone know if there is a decent power R&P steering setup for an A-body? Fabrication is no problem - it's a proven kit with templates I'd be all for it.

- Sam

Last edited by Mad-Max; 05/05/23 03:29 PM.

71 Demon (project): 318, A-833od, 8-3/4, 3.23's
14 Wrangler JKU M-380 "Kilroy" (under construction): Magnum 360, 46rh, Atlas4, D60/14b-5.38s-Grizzlys, 40s
07 Ram 3500 MegaDually 4x4 "Big Mack": 5.9 6BT, G56 'Toy Hauler'
52 Willys M-38 "Poncho"