Be careful whenever using RTV silicone... its the most abused and over-used chemical in the industry. It should most commonly be used as a filler of gap, such as corner intersecting joints (oil pans, intake manifolds/end seals).

IF the gasket supplier specifically indicates NOT to use silicone, then don't use it. Typically, RTV silicone is a mess to clean up as well as to release the gaskets IF previously applied over them. Also, IF any excessive RTV silicone falls inside the engine, it can eventually clog the oil pick-up screen, oil and/or water passages, etc. The gaskets do the sealing... not the chemical (unless there is gap to be filled).

I'm a former Applications Engineer for a major gasket company... and I wrote most of the instructions within their sets.

Mopar Mitch "Road racers and autocrossers go in deeper and come out harder!"... and rain never stops us from having fun with our cars... in fact, it makes us better drivers! Check out MOPAR ACTION MAGAZINE, August 2006 issue for feature article and specs on my autocross T/A!