Moparts

Superformance pan gasket ??

Posted By: Stanton

Superformance pan gasket ?? - 03/23/23 02:52 AM

Using superformance pan gaskets between the pan, windage tray and block. Do these require a sealant ??
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Superformance pan gasket ?? - 03/23/23 03:43 AM

I use clear silicone sealer, just a light coat. No leaky
Posted By: carnut68

Re: Superformance pan gasket ?? - 03/23/23 04:46 AM

I use a thin coat of Ultra black, excellent gaskets, no leaks.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Superformance pan gasket ?? - 03/23/23 12:43 PM

The reason I ask ... silicone these in probably six or seven years ago and then the motor has just been sitting. Took the pan, etc off last night to check something and expected a real battle to get things unstuck. Pushed an Olfa blade between the block and gasket and it went in like there was nothing there. Ran it around the whole rail with no resistance. When I pulled everything apart there is nothing stuck to the gaskets.

Now they say "Non Stick designation has an easy release coating on both faces ..." . Yes, so easy nothing sticks to it ! So I'm wondering if there is any point in using a sealant.
Posted By: Mopar Mitch

Re: Superformance pan gasket ?? - 03/23/23 07:12 PM

Be careful whenever using RTV silicone... its the most abused and over-used chemical in the industry. It should most commonly be used as a filler of gap, such as corner intersecting joints (oil pans, intake manifolds/end seals).

IF the gasket supplier specifically indicates NOT to use silicone, then don't use it. Typically, RTV silicone is a mess to clean up as well as to release the gaskets IF previously applied over them. Also, IF any excessive RTV silicone falls inside the engine, it can eventually clog the oil pick-up screen, oil and/or water passages, etc. The gaskets do the sealing... not the chemical (unless there is gap to be filled).

I'm a former Applications Engineer for a major gasket company... and I wrote most of the instructions within their sets.
Posted By: moparacer

Re: Superformance pan gasket ?? - 03/23/23 11:12 PM

I run them dry, and use them over and over and over with a Milodon pan.
Posted By: BloFish

Re: Superformance pan gasket ?? - 03/24/23 12:35 AM

Dry as well, no issues.
© 2024 Moparts Forums