Originally Posted by volaredon
Why should we have to buy a 2nd tag a long component to make haphazard aftermarket stuff work? The one in the 80 d150 and the 87 ramcharger still have 1/2 tank when they read empty, the one he bought for the 72 fury shows nothing at all. Pure junk
There used to be companies that advertised a service where the rebuilt original sending units, always wanted to try one of those places but lost the contact info that I had for one in Ohio

because what is being offered is as you stated
Pure junk
. In my experiences (MANY) one can spend days trying to get a somewhat accurate reading at full AND empty. I found that one usually could get one or the other (full/empty) but not both. So, I would usually settle on an empty reading (with a little reserve), and 3/4 to 7/8 reading when full.
The Tanks add on device corrects this issue. I agree we shouldn't have to resort to doing so but.
1. It is the result of people like myself wanting to retire.
2. The younger generation not interested in taking a business over.
3. Our money grubbing CEO's putting profit over quality, (Gotta have that 2nd hose on the lake AND keep for the mistress happy).
4. The NAFTA by Reagan in the 80's, followed up by Cliton opening the door to China in 2000.
5. The consumers demanding lower prices while workers demanded higher wages.
twocents