Originally Posted by jwb123
Originally Posted by moparx
i have a system one filter that screws onto the oil pump like the factory filter.
how often should one check and clean those filters ?
this is my first time using one of those, so any guidance is appreciated.
TIA, bow
beer
I pull and clean mine whenever I change the oil. But the nice thing is if the oil pressure starts to act stupid, or you hear a noise, real easy to pull it off and look. I had a guy one time with a pulling truck engine, it was blowing up regularly at about every ten hooks. I told the guy it is pretty hard to diagnose root cause of a failure when rods are hanging out the block and pistons are in the oil pan. Pulling truck engines are spun really tight. So I had him install a system one filter and told him check the screen after every pull. 8th hook it had metal in it. Pulled it apart and the tri-metal main bearings were flaking material. Installed King bearings that are not tri-metal and the engine has held together for a couple years now.

thank you. up
i figured at every oil change, as i have done a filter change every time on everything for tons of years, going back to the late 60's.
good suggestion about the oil pressure fluctuation.
i would have probably thought of that sooner or later, but this engine that i have this filter for is a new combination, so i will probably err on the caution side, and pull the filter a few times to see if anything is out of the ordinary.
beer