Originally Posted by HotRodDave
Originally Posted by hp383
Originally Posted by topside
^^^ Yup.
It's something of a generalization, but for street use, a smaller carb will work better than a big carb, especially on a small engine like a 318.
Velocity vs volume, and better vacuum signal as a result.
Airflow of the heads also figures in.
Note that the 6-bbl/Six-Pack cars generally ran with the small center carb for most street duty.
Agree with the T-quad, kinda best of both worlds on the street, been there.
2nd best I think would be an Eddy AVS2, I really like mine.
For most 318s, 600-650 CFM is fine.

I like the TQ but it wont work with the available intakes for the magnum. I will be using an AVS-2 which is a nice carb I have one on a 360 in my 77. I was just trying to understand the reasoning behind the 800 cfm being used on a stock magnum. I've had a 383 with dual 750s on an M1 tunnel ram, but it wasn't a stock 383. So I was just looking for the reasoning. I thought possibly it was due to the better flow, the magnum breathes better. I'm not trying to argue for a bigger, or smaller.

Many 318s came from the factory with 800 CFM carbs and a few with the 850 so I would use an 800 CFM eddy AVS and not look back. The AVS works very similar to those factory 800s by running on smallish primaries for cruise and kicking in big secondaries when you floor it. The 750 eddy seems to be a tuning nightmare and the 600 is too small for WOT but pretty close in primary size.

And as far as actually running a TQ, I would. There is the M1 single plane (don't worry about it being a single plane it will work great with that stall, cruising RPM and gears) that it bolts right up to or the re-drilling the intake bolt pattern option opens up a ton of options.

I have the Eddy Air Gap RPM 4bbl magnum intake ready to go, so the intake is set. I really like the 650 AVS2 on my 77 LA, and was looking at the 800 AVS2 for this if it needed it (or would be able to use). while it will be mostly driver use, it will also go to our 1/8th mile track now and then.

Join the Penguin Liberation Front!!
Stop the Hippo Occupation!