Originally Posted by Cab_Burge
Originally Posted by jwb123
Lot of the spark plug designs are driven by the EPA standard that an engine has to run and no produce excessive emissions for 100,000 miles, so they have to last a really long time. The other thing to consider is what type of ignition system the vehicle has and the design of the plugs to work with that style ignition. The more energy it takes to Ionize the gap at the plug the more stress there is on the ignition coil. One reason why most modern engines have one coil per cylinder. I have seen lots of ignition coils burnt and replaced when the root cause of the problem was a spark plug worn out.
You may have, and not know it, problems with the spark plug wires, coil wire, and not the plugs work scope
I have had them wear out on one of my old bracket motors using the MSD 7 and 7AL2 race boxes, the carbon coating on the plug wires center conductor at the distributor cap burns off and will start missing a tiny bit in high gear about the 1000 clocks in the 1/4 mile whiney. Cut the ends off and reterminate them and your good to go for some more racing wrench up scope

I had a conversation with a tech guy (not a salesman) from one of the big gauge manufacturers years ago when they still had people like that on the payroll, about RFI.

He suggested, and I have followed his advice with good results, that plug wires are consumables, and should be replaced yearly if you make any number of passes. Coil wire every 6 months. Especially with the new, high energy ignitions and coils.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.